Genetic Compatibility Test

Dr. Fernando Martín Cañadas

Compatibilidad genética

The genetic compatibility test, carrier test or recessive disease test is a test to study the genetic material of a person and is focused on the detection of mutations that can cause more than 500 recessive genetic diseases with different impact on the quality of life of patients. Autosomal recessive diseases occur when two mutated copies (or alleles) of the same gene are inherited. This requires that both the father and the mother are carriers of the disease, i.e. both have an altered copy of the gene and, by chance, both have passed the altered copy on to their child. When both partners carry recessive mutations in the same gene, there is a 25% chance that their children will have the disease, a 50% chance that they will be carriers but not have the disease, and a 25% chance that they will be mutation-free (non-carriers).

Autosomal recessive disease

Autosomal recessive disease

X-linked recessive disease

This compatibility test is suitable for all couples, whether they have fertility problems or not. In the event that a couple takes the test and know before conception that both are carriers of the same disease or the mother is a carrier of an X-linked disease, a pre-implantation genetic diagnosis treatment (PGT-M) would have to be performed in order to prevent the offspring from suffering from the disease. In addition, the compatibility test is one of the key factors in selecting the appropriate oocytes or donor sperm for each patient's characteristics.

Picture of Dr. Fernando Martín Cañadas

Dr. Fernando Martín Cañadas

  • Licenciado en Medicina y Cirugía. 1997, Universidad de Sevilla
  • Especialista en Obstetricia y Ginecología 2003, Hospital Reina Sofía, Córdoba.
  • Programa de doctorado. Suficiencia investigadora 1997-1999, Departamento Anatomía Patológica. Universidad de Málaga.
  • Doctor en medicina y cirugía 2008. Universidad de Córdoba.
  • 1999-2002 Colaborador del departamento de Especialidades médico-quirúrgicas. Universidad de Córdoba.
  • Agosto 2003- FEA. Obstetricia y Ginecología (excedencia). Hospital Comarcal Antequera (ACTUALMENTE EN EXCEDENCIA).
  • Desde 2004 DIRECTOR Unidad de Reproducción. Instituto Malavé ,Málaga.
  • 2007 Diploma de capacitación de ecografía obstétrico ginecológica en su nivel IV (SESEGO).
Certificación Bureau Veritas. ISO9001 , UNE179007
Abrir chat
1
Scan the code
Instituto Malavé
Hola 👋
How can we help you?